عنوان مقاله [English]
On 16 May 2018, ICSID issued its Award between the Masdar as a Dutch company against Spain. The court confirmed the violation of the Energy Charter by the Spain and sentenced it to compensate for damages to the plaintiff. Despite the challenges to the Court's jurisdiction raised by Spain, in various aspects such as personal, thematic and the priority of EU, the Court accepted its jurisdiction to hear the case. In this respect, the main basis of the plaintiff’s pleadings and the court’s analysis are based on the Energy Charter and the ICSID Convention; because both documents are mandatory for both Parties. Given that one of the major achievements of this award is to examine the various aspects of the jurisdiction of ICSID in relation to the disputes arising from the renewable energy investment, the present Article seeks to analyze these issues.
1. Crawford, J (2002). the International Law Commission's Articles on State Responsibility: Introduction, Text and Commentaries. Cambridge University Press.
2. Schreuer, C (2009). the ICSID Convention: A Commentary. 2nd ed: Cambridge University Press.
3. Masdar Solar & Wind Cooperatief U.A. v. Kingdom of Spain, ICSID Case No. ARB/14/1, 2018.
4. Elena Oñoro (Speakers of Respondent), Masdar Solar & Wind Cooperatief U.A. v. Kingdom of Spain ICSID Case No. ARB/14/1, Tr. Day 1, 2018.
5. Tulip Real Estate and Development Netherlands BV v. Republic of Turkey, ICSID Case No. ARB/11/28, Award, 10 March 2014.
6. Ceskoslovenska Obchodni Banka A.S. v. The Slovak Republic (CSOB CASE), ICSID Case No. ARB/97/4, Decision on Objections to Jurisdiction, 24 May 1999.
7. Amco Asia Corp and Others v. The Republic of Indonesia, Decision on Jurisdiction, Case No.ARB/81/1, 25 September 1983, 1 ICSID Reports 389.
8. Energoalliance Ltd. (Ukraine) v. The Republic of Moldova, UNCITRAL, Award, 23 October 2013.
9. GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft v. Ukraine, ICSID Case No. ARB/08/16, Award, 31 March 2011.
11. Romak S.A. v. The Republic of Uzbekistan, PCA Case No. AA280, Award, 26 November 2009.
12. Isolux Infrastructure Netherlands, BV v. Kingdom of Spain, SCC Case V2013/153, Award, 12 July 2016.
13. Yukos Universal Limited (Isle of Man) v. Russian Federation, PCA Case No. AA 227, Interim Award on Jurisdiction and Admissibility, 30 November 2009.
14. Franck Charles Arif v. Republic of Moldova, ICSID Case No. ARB/11/23, Award, 8 April 2013.
15. Renta 4 S.V.S.A., Ahorro Corporacion Emergentes F.I., Ahorro Corporacion Eurofondo F.I. Rovime Inversiones SICAV S.A., Orgor de Valores SICAV S.A., GBI 9000 SICAV S.A. v. The Russian Federation, SCC CaseNo. 24/2007, Award, 20 July 2012.
16. ECJ Case, Commission v. Ireland (C-459/03), 2006.
17. Electrabel v. The Republic of Hungary, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/19, Decision on Jurisdiction, Applicable Law and Liability, 30 November 2012.
18. BNP Paribas, Due Diligence Report, Investment Analysis on SENER CSP Projects Named Solar Tres &Termesol 50, 24 January 2008.
19. Spain Royal Decree 2007-661 on the activity of electricity production in the special regime.
20. Royal Decree-Law 6/2009 (RDL).
21. Resolution of the Directorate General for Energy Policy and Mines, 11 December 2009.
22. Ozgur, U.E., Taxation of Foreign Investments under International Law: Article 21 of the Energy Charter Treaty in Context, Energy Charter Secretariat, June 2015.
23. The Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, 26 October 2012.